Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekend Job?

Okay, so I've been confronted a few times (once by my dear friend Laura) about my knitting skills. I knitted this awesome laptop case and the few times I've carried it around I've been given some compliments. Laura requested that I make one for her and even offered to pay me for it. In all honesty, I must admit that my laptop case was meant to be for my sister's ex-roommate. Yes, I kept it for myself. I'm terrible, I know. But in my defense, when you knit something you put a lot of time and effort in it and you get a little attached... Anyway, it doesn't seem like I'm making a point but I'm trying to...It isn't called Ramblings of a College Student for nothing...Okay, to the point! Should I let my talents be known and sell these pleasant little cases? I could also make scarfs, mittens, camera cases etc. Some of these things I can crochet. I would say things like blankets, pillows, sweaters, etc. but those are far too time consuming. I'm just afraid that too many people would ask for them all at once and I'd get stressed out or else I'd make a whole bunch and no one would want them. :(



The laptop case is knitted and the camera case is crocheted.



If I were to make a little business out of this, how much would I charge? I already have most of the knitting needles I would need and yarn is only about $3 for one small project. Buttons are a couple of dollars, I think. But how much is my time worth? I kind of think it is worth a lot considering I am also going to school. What do all of you out there think? Is there anything I'm not considering? Do you think people would want to buy these things and if so how much would they be willing to spend? We are all poor college students after all. I would be willing to make custom things, should that be taken into account?

Well, I also had another idea while sitting in history class today. I think it would be a wonderful idea to record my professor's lecture, make copies, and sell them to the poor students out there that can't sleep at night with the endless police sirens here at Cambridge. I'm sure my prof. would be happy to know that he was making a difference. I'm kidding, of course. My professor seems really nice but he really can make 50 minutes feel like two days...




5 comments:

countrygirl005 said...

I think it's a good idea. It doesn't have to be a big business, I mean if someone asks you to make them one, do it and sell it to them, because you're right. It does take a lot of time.

countrygirl005 said...

P.S. post the pictures bigger so that everyone can see the detail!

Dreams of a Country Girl said...

etsy...sell them...use some reto two tone colors...

laptop cases 30 and camera 20

also do ones for ipods for 10

amen

elb said...

Thanks!

Mixxelle said...

I think you should make full bodied jumpers with built in footies. They're really hot now at colleges I think. You could charge upwards of 7 dollars for them too! Imagine the riches!